Everything You Want to Know About Epoxy Floor Coatings
Epoxy floor coating can be an amazing investment in your floor’s beauty, comfort, and value. The epoxy coating protects the flooring and extends its lifespan. It is durable, UV resistant, can withstand extreme temperatures, and low-maintenance. Best of all, it is available in almost any color, finish, or texture you can imagine. Whether you want to protect your floors or show off your personality and complement your existing home decor, it’s easy to find a cost-effective solution with an epoxy coating. At Lakeside Painting, we have a team of experts with over four decades of experience applying epoxy floor coating in Milwaukee, WI. Call us today to schedule a consultation, request a free estimate for the cost of coating an epoxy floor, or get answers to your questions about epoxy-coated floors.
What Is Epoxy Flooring?
Epoxy flooring, epoxy coating, and epoxy paint are synthetic resin substances that are poured or painted on top of an existing concrete or cement floor. The substance protects the flooring beneath, makes it comfortable to walk on, and adds a decorative finish to the flooring. Epoxy coatings are most often used on concrete and cement floors, as those types of floors need a protective top coat to prevent sun damage, water damage, cracking, staining, chipping, and weather damage.
What Are the Benefits of Epoxy Floor Coatings?
It’s important to weigh the pros and cons of epoxy flooring before committing. While epoxy floor coating is an investment, it has so many benefits that far outweigh the cost:
- Highly durable and resistant to cracks, chips, chemicals, stains, pests, UV rays, and extreme temperatures.
- Low-maintenance and easy to care for.
- Can easily be repainted if you want a different color or need to make touch-ups.
- Attractive and aesthetically pleasing.
- Add value to your home or business.
- Can withstand heavy foot traffic or vehicle traffic.
- Slip-resistant and safe.
- Available in thousands of different colors, finishes, and textures.
- Fast, easy installation.
- Covers up defects in cement and concrete floors.
- Adds personality and warmth to rooms.
- Cost-effective solution to give your flooring a makeover.
- Shock and heat-resistant.
- Protects the underlying floor from damage and wear and tear.
- Easy to clean.
- Reduces wear and tear to tires and machinery.
Where Can You Use Epoxy Flooring?
You can install epoxy flooring in almost any commercial facility or residential setting. Our team has installed epoxy floor coating in:
- Retail spaces.
- Educational facilities.
- Government buildings.
- Residential and commercial kitchens.
- Eating areas.
- Hotels and resorts.
- Lobbies and foyers.
- Corporate offices.
- Auto shops.
- Covered porches.
- Restrooms and bathrooms.
- Storage facilities.
- Event spaces.
- Dance studios.
- School rooms.
- Day care centers.
- Dog grooming facilities.
- Doggy daycares.
- Assisted living homes and nursing facilities.
- Hospice facilities.
- Medical facilities.
What Is the Purpose of an Epoxy Flooring Coating?
The purpose of epoxy flooring is to coat the existing cement or concrete floor underneath. Concrete and cement floors are vulnerable to water damage, cracks, insect and animal damage, stains, wear and tear, scratches, and more. They can also be very slippery when wet, which makes them dangerous in residential, commercial, and industrial applications. When we install epoxy flooring, we are doing it to:
- Protect existing flooring.
- Improve aesthetics.
- Create a safer environment.
- Decrease maintenance.
- Increase durability.
- Reduce wear and tear.
- Extend the lifespan of the flooring.
- Make the space more attractive.
- Complement existing decor, designs, and aesthetics.
- Create a more welcoming or comfortable environment.
- Get rid of an industrial or cold appearance.
Can I DIY Garage Epoxy Floor Coatings?
We do not recommend DIY garage epoxy floor coatings or any other type of epoxy flooring. The process of applying epoxy coating to floors is lengthy, tiring, and tricky. It’s hard to do it right without years of knowledge and the proper materials, tools, and equipment. If you get it wrong, your floor will look bad and might be unsafe. You will then have to spend even more money hiring an expert to fix your flooring. Our team works efficiently and meticulously to apply epoxy coating to floors perfectly the first time.
How Can I Prepare My Floors for Epoxy Coating?
There are a few things you can do before our team arrives to prepare your floors for epoxy coating:
- Remove all furniture, rugs, and other objects from the floor.
- Sweep and vacuum the floor carefully.
- Clean grease or oil stains with a degreaser.
- Clean the floor with a power washer or chemical cleaner.
Our team will handle the rest of the preparation process, which is protecting baseboards, walls, and wall-mounted cabinets, roughing up the concrete surface, polishing the concrete, and applying a primer.
What Is the Lifespan of Clear Epoxy Floor Coating?
With the proper care and maintenance, a properly installed epoxy floor coating can last 10-20 years. The lifespan depends on the quality of the work and materials, the quality of the floor at the time of application, the thickness of the epoxy, and how much foot or vehicle traffic the area gets.
How Long Do Epoxy Garage Floor Coatings Take?
It generally takes three to five days to install an epoxy floor coating system, including prep work and cleanup.
What Are the Disadvantages of Epoxy Floor Coatings?
The disadvantages of epoxy floor coatings are the prep work, the cost, the problems you encounter if you DIY or hire a sub-par company for installation, and the damage that can occur if you don’t properly care for the floor.
Request an Estimate Today for an Epoxy Floor Coating
If you have more questions about epoxy flooring that weren’t answered here, call us today or contact us online. You can also schedule a consultation or request an estimate for an epoxy-coated floor in Milwaukee, WI. Our team at Lakeside Painting has decades of experience and is committed to quality workmanship, amazing results, and exceptional customer service. Our locally owned and operated family business offers dependability, professionalism, and attention to detail. We will schedule an in-home consultation and a home safety and condition inspection with the homeowner before we begin.